The Razor A3 scooter is a wonderful ‘all round’ kids scooter great for beginners. It’s recommended for ages 5 and up to young adults with a maximum capacity of 143lbs. It is an updated version of the original Razor A scooter which is a bit lighter, and has smaller wheels. The Razor A3 comes completely assembled and ready to go. It’s made from light weight and durable aircraft-grade aluminum, perfect for kids who are known to be rough on their rides. Likely the brand that started it all, Razor began in 2000 and now has an entire line of scooters, electric scooters, pro scooters, and a bunch of other fun rides. Some of the features included with the A3 are a wheelie bar over the rear fender brake, and springless shock system which the Southern California company insists gives the smoothest ride possible, and 125mm wheels.The Razor A3 scooter is adjustable, foldable, and great to take with you on road trips, and comes in four color options. Because of the folding and adjusting features, it is not intended for tricks and extreme skatepark use.
• Warranty: 6-month limited warranty
• Weight: 8lbs
• Weight Capacity: 143 Ibs
• Great for: Ages 5 an up
• Skill: Beginner
The Razor A3 Scooter is Available in Four Colors
The Razor A3 Scooter: What you’ll Get
- High-grade aircraft-grade aluminum: The company lists the Razor A3 as being made from aircraft-grade aluminum. They do not expand on this, but Razor has a reputation for being durable and have been manufacturing scooters since 2000.
- Adjustable handlebar: The handlebars are height adjustable with foam grips.
- Foldable Design: There is a patented folding mechanism for easy transport and storage.
- 125mm scooter wheels: The A3 comes with 125mm urethane wheels. Interesting that they say urethane rather than polyurethane which you see more often. They are almost the same thing, but urethane would imply a single compound and polyurethane would imply multiple urethane compounds chemically joined together. This makes polyurethane slightly stronger. Nerdy, I know, does it make a difference? In this case, probably not. The wheels also come with ABEC-5 high-speed bearings. Again, what? You see this a lot too, ABEC is Annular Bearing Engineering Committee, and they use a numbered grading system of 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9. ABEC-9 would theoretically be faster than ABEC-5 but there are many more factors included in the grading. Does it really make a difference here? No.
- Wheelie Bar: As far as I know, Razor is the only brand that offers a wheelie bar. Pros don’t like them because of the added weight and the possibility of catching their foot on it during a trick. Since this is a beginner model, it’s designed to help the rider keep their balance while doing a wheelie trick.
The Razor A3 Scooter: What Type Of Kid Is It Good For?
The Razor A3 scooter is ideal for kids who are just beginning to scoot on two wheels. It is durable, and foldable for travel, and adjustable. The 125mm wheels offer good speed but the Razor A3 is not a model intended for aggressive jumps and major tricks.
What to Love: ✓ Suitable for young kids ✓ Foldable ✓ Adjustable ✓Lightweight
The Razor A3 Scooter: Ratings
Overall Rating: Razor A3 scooter has a rating of 4.7/5 on Amazon at the time of writing with 83% of the reviewers giving The Razor A3 5-stars.
Most of the top marks were for the larger wheels and the smooth ride. They also noted that the larger wheels handled pebbles and rough pavement nicely. Some reviewers however, noted that the folding/unfolding mechanism is not particularly user-friendly and say it only works when the vertical bar is in perfect position. Others mention that the fender brake on the scooter is not the best and wished it performed better in the rain.